In 1930, a renovation transformed this reserved 1855 Italianate townhouse into a uniquely dramatic environment. With a sweeping staircase rendered in silvered metal, a distinctly sophisticated aura was achieved, drawing you into a formal skylit hall filled with fanciful fretwork mouldings and period Chinoiserie wallpaper.
Structural work was extensive, so to protect the historic millwork, we carefully removed, inventoried, and stored every piece before reinstalling. This allowed excavation, underpinning, foundation work and structural steel completed as the armature for a 3,000 square foot addition.
Nearly 100 years later, we have the opportunity to preserve the historical elements while adding interior rooms and outdoor spaces on each of the five floors, allowing abundant natural light to sparkle throughout.Read More...
Meticulously interweaving old and new has become the guiding aesthetic principle of the house, celebrating the new energy created by an expanded vision.
This marriage of styles throughout the centuries mirrors the new marriage of the owners as well; she, with a penchant for exuberant spaces filled with antiques and he, with a notable contemporary art collection.
With a deep bow to the mid-19th century origins with reverence for the early 20th century incarnation, we set out to incorporate 21st century amenities in what will be an exemplary “historic house of the future.”